Tidal Wetlands Information / Permits
Wetlands is administered through the Planning and Zoning Department. The Mathews County Wetlands Board only has jurisdiction over tidal wetlands.
Vegetated & Non-Vegetated Wetlands
Wetlands grasses may be cut. You cannot place anything (i.e. rocks, boards, structures, rubble, trash, tires, tree trimming debris, etc.) on vegetated or non-vegetated wetlands without a permit.
- "Non-Vegetated Wetlands" means unvegetated lands lying contiguous to mean low water and between mean low water and mean high water.
- "Vegetated Wetlands" means land lying between and contiguous to mean low water and an elevation above mean low water equal to the factor one and one-half times the mean tide range.
Obtain a Permit
For placement of material on or around vegetated or non-vegetated wetlands, a Tidewater Joint Permit Application (JPA) (PDF) must be completed. If a hearing is required, Wetlands Board meetings are held on the first Wednesday of each month at 7 pm in the Historic Courtroom of Mathews County, Mathews, Virginia.
For Oyster Floats / Osprey Poles
A JPA for Shellfish Aquaculture Structures (PDF) must be completed.
Fees for Tidewater Joint Permits Requiring Wetlands Board Hearings
|Tidewater Joint Permits||Fee|
|Application for single user (private, non-commercial, residential) with the advertising fee paid by the County||$150|
|Application for multi-user (commercial, community, industrial, government) with he advertising fee paid by the County.||$200|
|After-the-Fact Application||Double the application fee and additionally are subject to possible violation fees up to $10,000|
2019 Application Submittal Deadlines
- May 10, 2019
- June 8, 2019
- July 12, 2019
- August 9, 2019
- September 6, 2019
- October 11, 2019
- November 8, 2019
- June 5, 2019
- July 3, 2019
- August 7, 2019
- September 4, 2019
- October 2, 2019
- November 6, 2019
- December 4, 2019
Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS)
If you have Shoreline questions, please visit the VIMS Center for Coastal Resource Management website.
- Access the "Map Viewer" to see aerial photography of your shoreline, VIMS erosion control guidance (Preferred Shoreline Best Management Practices), and yard management (upland) guidance.
- Use the scroll bar to the right to find and expand the "Preferred Shoreline Best Management Practices" layers then hit "toggle BMPS on/off."
- You can then click on one of the beaded lines along your shoreline to view a results box, click "BMP" at the top for VIMS guidance regarding your shoreline.