Mathews County offers real property tax relief for the elderly, provided these citizens are able to meet the guidelines of Chapter 145, Article VII of the Code of Mathews County, Virginia. If you own a home, you may be entitled to an exemption on Real Estate Tax if you meet the following guidelines:
1) Taxpayer must have attained the age of sixty-five (65) as of January 1 of the current tax year.
2) Taxpayer must own the real estate, which is his or her personal dwelling.
3) Taxpayer must have total household income not exceeding $35,000, excluding up to $4,000 of the income of any relative living in the household.
4) Taxpayer must have a total net worth not to exceed $100,000 (excluding the value of the dwelling and contiguous land not exceeding 5.00 acres, upon which it is situated.
5) Total real estate tax relief cannot exceed $1,000 annually.
You must meet all of the above requirements to be entitled to tax relief.
Applications for Real Estate Tax Relief for the Elderly must be filed with the Commissioner of the Revenue. For each tax year, such affidavit or certification shall be filed on or before the fifteenth day of March of said year. All information on this application is confidential. For applications, please call (804) 725-7168.
For more information, citizens are asked to contact the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office at 804-725-7168 or visit that office in the Liberty Square complex at 10644 Buckley Hall Road.