- Emergency Services
- Storm Shelters
When a dangerous storm is headed our way, the Emergency Management Team will determine if and when the emergency shelter will open to residents. The shelter is currently located inside:
33 Cricket Hill Road
Hudgins, VA 23109
The Department of Social Services staff operate the shelter.
Prior to and/or immediately following a large scale emergency and/or disaster, Mathews County may open an emergency disaster shelter based upon need and the estimated numbers of displaced persons. The shelter is staffed by the Mathews County Department of Social Services.
Citizens will be notified the shelter is open via news and radio reports. A Code Red Alert may also notify citizens when the shelter has opened. The shelter may not be able to provide basic supplies, materials, and common comforts. Consider bringing extra items e.g.,
- Air mattress
- Supplies for infants
Citizens who are considering coming to the shelter will be asked to complete registration paperwork upon arrival. A staff member from the shelter will help those who are unable to complete the form.
Pets are allowed, although they must be separate from their humans, unless the animal is a service animal. Animal control is in charge of the pet shelter. Provide for your pet.
Additional Shelter Rules & Considerations
- You must sign in before being officially admitted into any shelter
- "Shelter hopping" is not permitted
- You are responsible for your belongings. Valuables should always be locked in your car or kept with you. The shelter is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.
- Parents are responsible for controlling the actions of and knowing the whereabouts of their children. Children should not be left unattended.
- If you have a medical condition or are taking medication, please notify the shelter registration staff.
- Noise levels should be kept at a minimum during all hours of the day. Quiet hours are observed between 11 pm and 7 am
- Please do your best to keep the shelter as neat and orderly as possible.
If you have any questions about the shelter in Mathews County, please contact Mathews County Department of Social Services 804-725-7192.